Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Getting high Google rankings - a Mug's Game?

I've been in business for quite awhile. And maybe call me jaded but I'm beginning to question the value of latest holy grail of marketing - SEO and web optimization. Not because it doesn't make sense to target your audience and measure effectiveness of your marketing effort. Of course it does.

My rising doubt arises about the ability of marketers to actually realize this potential without putting all resources and budgets into this one marketing basket.

Two events over the past twenty four hours really have me pondering this question.

The first is a "free" assessment of my website - www.interactivevoice.ca by a consultant who specializes in web optimization. While the assessment was OK and indicated my website would never reach page 1 on Google, it begs the question - who cares? My company is small, specialized and not interested in catering to the whole world, or even the whole marketing industry. To even start the process would cost several thousand dollars. I don't see the how the ROI potential.

The second shoe fell today while ready the Search Insider blog on getting first page listing on Google. Apparently the odds of getting a first page listing are around 500000:1. To beat these odds, requires a lot of focus, resources and likely outside help (expensive help).

I don't know what the answer is but my question is: is it worth it? Or are we forgetting the real basics of good marketing?

No comments: