Search This Blog

Monday, September 14, 2009

Dyson Ball - a vacuum purchaser's dilemma

So, I'm buying a new house, and I set out to determine if I want to have a built-in vacuum or a stand-alone vacuum - specifically the Dyson. Why the Dyson? Well, they have great ads, and really seem to stand for something. So, I "Google'd" it.

The forums I found - including one by car enthusiasts - all pointed to the Dyson as the clear winner in the suction and cleaning battle. So, then I set out to find a Dyson. I visited the Dyson site and found ... that I am now very confused about what their models all do. I didn't know that there could be so many models. They all look alike, and their descriptions don't really help you tell what miraculous feature one vacuum has over the other.

Here's the punchline however. On their site Dyson sell refurbished vacuums. These are older models, and without the new "Ball" feature. Presumably, however, they machines are as good as new. AND, they are roughly half-price. However, my better half isn't interested in saving $300. She's interested in getting "The Ball." Why? Well, simply put, because Dyson has done such a darn find job of telling us all about how great the ball is, and how stupid you'd be to buy a non-ball model.

Dyson = GREAT Branding! We are willing to pay a premium just because of the value of the brand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although the dyson is marketed quite well, the kenmore for sears is actually a better vacuum for relatively the same cost. I would suggest looking into the tri star, although you have to go through the sales pitch, it is a much better vacuum, has a life time warranty, better quality (not plastic), and you can get them down half price.