Search This Blog

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Will Google make you irrelevant?

Image representing Google SketchUp as depicted...Image via CrunchBase

I love Google! Who wouldn't?

But today I was going to buy some software to make a drawing of a new bathroom that I'm setting up. When I searched (on Google, of course) for some design software the first sponsored link was for Google's own Google SketchUp software. Price? You've got to know ... FREE.

Google's competitor, Microsoft, makes software, sells it for ba-zillions then goes out and destroys its competition by out-muscling them. Google, on the other hand, makes software, GIVES it away for free, and destroys competition by the ultimate under-pricing model.

This is all well, I suppose, until Google finds a way to move into your own business sector. If you see that happening, then it is probably time to go out and find another career. There aren't many examples of Google failing to bring successful products to market. If Google automates Marketing Strategy (and they will eventually), then it is time for me to go back into Project Management (unless they've automated that ...).

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: